智性英语|《简·爱》(Jane Eyre)第8期 | 静听原著( 二 )


I was not quite sure whether they had locked the door.
我吃不准他们锁了门没有 。
And when I dared move, I got up and went to see.
等到敢于走动时 , 便起来看个究竟 。
Alas! yes. No jail was ever more secure.
哎呀 , 不错 , 比牢房锁得还紧呐 。
Returning, I had to cross before the looking-glass.
返回原地时 , 我必须经过大镜子跟前 。
My fascinated glance involuntarily explored the depth it revealed.
我的目光被吸引住了 , 禁不住探究起镜中的世界来 。
All looked colder and darker in that visionary hollow than in reality.
在虚幻的映像中 , 一切都显得比现实中更冷落、更阴沉 。
And the strange little figure there gazing at me, with a white face and arms specking the gloom,
那个陌生的小家伙瞅着我 , 白白的脸上和胳膊上都蒙上了斑驳的阴影 ,
and glittering eyes of fear moving where all else was still, had the effect of a real spirit.
在—切都凝滞时 , 唯有那双明亮恐惧的眼睛在闪动 , 看上去真像是一个幽灵 。
I thought it like one of the tiny phantoms, half fairy, half imp, Bessie's evening stories represented as coming out of lone,
我觉得她像那种半仙半人的小精灵 , 恰如贝茵在夜晚的故事中所描绘的那样 ,
ferny dells in moors, and appearing before the eyes of belated travellers. I returned to my stool.
【智性英语|《简·爱》(Jane Eyre)第8期 | 静听原著】从沼泽地带山蕨丛生的荒谷中冒出来 , 现身于迟归的旅行者眼前 。 我回到我的矮凳上 。


推荐阅读