如何使用正式和非正式英语 Formal and Informal English( 二 )


The fact is, it's not possible to say you should always use formal language in these situations.
也许你说的是:在工作面试、商务会议或谈判中,和老人交谈时,商业邮件写作,等等 。事实是,在这些情景中,你不可能总是使用正式语言 。
It always depends. For example, take job interviews.
它总是视情况而定的 。例如,接受工作面试 。
Some companies have a very corporate culture, with a strict hierarchy and lots of rules and procedures.
Other companies are more relaxed, and pay less attention to rules and job titles.
一些公司有很强的企业文化,有严格的等级制度和许多规则和流程 。其他公司则更随意,不太注意规则和职称 。
Obviously, if you're going for a job interview at the first kind of company, you'll want to dress, act and speak formally, to fit in with the company culture.
On the other hand, if you go for an interview at the second kind of company, where things are more relaxed, it wouldn't be appropriate to speak very formally.
显然,如果你在第一类公司求职面试,你的穿着、行为和谈吐都要正式,以适应该公司的文化 。
另一方面,如果你在第二类公司面试,那里更加随意,那么正式用语就不合适了 。
So, always think about the situation in front of you.
If you're not sure, try to listen to other people around you.
所以,一定要考虑你面前的情况 。如果你不确定,就试着倾听你周围的人 。
If other people around you are speaking informally to each other, you probably shouldn't try to sound very formal.
Also, if you don't know, then use neutral language.
如果你周围的人在非正式地交谈,那你也不要听起来很正式 。此外,如果你不知道,那就使用中性语言 。
Neutral language is safe. You can use it in any situation.
中性语言是保险的 。你可以在任何情况下使用它 。
Informal language is very important in spoken English, but you need to be careful. Using informal language at the wrong time could sound disrespectful or rude.
非正式语言在英语口语中很重要,但你需要小心 。在错误的时间使用非正式语言可能听起来无礼或粗鲁 。
Next, let's consider some of the main differences between formal, neutral and informal English.
Formal English tends to use longer, more complicated sentence structures.
接下来,我们来讨论正式英语、中性英语和非正式英语之间的一些主要区别 。正式英语更倾向于使用更长、更复杂的句子结构 。
Informal and neutral English tend to use shorter, simpler sentence structures.
For example: I was wondering if you could make yourself available on Wednesday to provide more detailed guidance on these matters.
非正式和中性英语倾向于使用较短、更简单的句子结构 。例如:我想知道您能否在周三提供一些关于这些问题的更详细的指导 。
This is a formal sentence. You can see that it's quite long, with a complex structure.
这是一个正式句子 。你可以看到它很长,有一个复杂的结构 。
Do you have time on Wednesday to help us with these problems? This is neutral.
星期三你有时间帮我们解决这些问题吗?这是中性的 。
You got some free time on Wednesday to talk about this? This is more informal.
你星期三有空来谈谈这个吗?这个更加不正式 。
You can see that the neutral and informal sentences are much shorter and simpler. Let's do one more example.
你可以看到,中性和非正式的句子要短很多,也更简单 。我们再做一个例子 。
I'll give you three sentences. Can you see which one is formal, which is neutral, and which is informal?
我会给你三个句子 。你能看出来哪个是正式的,哪个是中性的,还有哪个是非正式的吗?
We should have a word with him first. It may well be necessary to contact him before we make a decision.
我们应该先和他谈谈 。在我们作出决定之前,也许有必要与他联系 。
We need to talk to him before we decide. Which is which?
在我们决定之前,我们需要和他谈谈 。哪个是哪个?
The first sentence is informal. The second sentence is formal.
第一个句子是非正式的 。第二个句子是正式的。
The third sentence is neutral. Did you get it right?
第三个句子是中性的 。你做对了吗?
Again, you can see that the formal sentence is longer and more complex.
Another point is that we sometimes leave out words in informal English, especially in questions.
再次,你可以看到正式的句子更长、更复杂 。另一点是,我们有时会在非正式英语中省去单词,尤其是在提问中 。
For example, in the question Are you sure? it is possible to leave out the word "are" and just say You sure?


推荐阅读