如何使用正式和非正式英语 Formal and Informal English


如何使用正式和非正式英语 Formal and Informal English

文章插图
Greetings! My name is Gina Mares, and I would like to take this opportunity to welcome you to this Oxford Online English video lesson.
大家好!我叫吉娜·马雷斯 。我想借此机会欢迎大家来到牛津在线英语视频课程 。
Hello! My name's Gina.
大家好!我叫吉娜 。
Welcome to the class. Hey guys!
欢迎来上课 。大家好!
Gina here. Let's get started!
我是吉娜 。我们开始吧!
What's going on here? Why am I welcoming you three times?
这是怎么回事?为什么我要欢迎大家三次?
In this lesson, you can learn about formal and informal English.
You'll learn how to recognise and use formal and informal styles in your spoken and written English.
在这节课中,你可以学习正式和非正式英语 。你将学会如何在你的口语和书面英语中识别和使用正式和非正式英语的风格 。
Look at three sentences: Could I disturb you for a minute? Can I ask you something?
来看三个句子:我可以打扰你一下吗?我可以问你个问题吗?
You got a sec? All of these sentences have the same basic meaning——I want to talk to you and ask you about something.
你有时间吗?所有这些句子都有相同的基本含义——我想和你谈谈,问你一些问题 。
However, the tone is different. Can you see how?
但是,语气不同 。你能看出来吗?
These three sentences show three levels of formality.
The first sentence is formal; it shows politeness, respect and distance.
这三个句子表现了正式程度的三个层次 。第一个句子是正式的;它展示了礼貌,尊重和距离 。
The second sentence is neutral; it does not have a formal or informal tone. The third sentence is informal; it shows that you and the person you are speaking to are familiar with each other, and you don't need to make an effort to be polite or respectful.
第二个句子是中性的;它没有正式或非正式的语气 。第三个句子是非正式的;它表明你和你交谈的人彼此熟悉,你不需要努力表现得礼貌和尊重对方 。
Actually, there are more than three levels of formality. For example: Might I ask you something?
事实上,正式的程度不止有三个层次 。例如:我能问你个问题吗?
May I take a moment of your time? Could I disturb you for a minute?
我可以占用你一些时间吗?可以打扰你一下吗?
These sentences are all formal. The first is extremely formal.
这些句子都是正式的 。第一个是非常正式的 。
It's probably too formal to use in most situations.
The other two are both formal; the second is probably more formal than the third.
在大多数情况下使用都太正式了 。另外两个都是正式的;第二个可能比第三个更正式 。
Why 'probably'? Formality isn't absolute.
为什么是“可能”呢?正式程度不是绝对的 。
It also depends on context and intonation, so it's not just about the words you use.
So, there are many levels of formality.
它还取决于语境和语调,不仅仅是你使用的词语 。因此,正式程度有多个层次 。
However, when you speak or write in English, it's useful to think about three levels: formal, neutral and informal.
But when should you use these different levels of language?
然而,当你说英语或用英语写作的时候,考虑三个层次是有用的:正式,中性,还有非正式 。但你什么时候该使用这些不同层次的语言呢?
In my experience, many English students use language which is too formal.
They think: formal language is more polite.
根据我的经验,许多英语学生使用的语言太正式了 。他们认为:正式的语言更加有礼貌 。
Polite language is better. Right?
礼貌语言更好 。不是吗?
No, not always! Language which is too polite puts distance between you and the person you're talking to.
不,不总是这样!过于礼貌的语言会让你和你交谈的人之间产生距离 。
At best, this will sound awkward and unnatural.
At worst, you can sound cold and unfriendly if you use language which is too formal.
在最好的情况下,这听起来会有些尴尬和不自然 。在最坏的情况下,如果你使用过于正式的语言,你可能听起来冷淡和不友好 。
Knowing when to use formal language depends mostly on context.
Let me ask you a question: when should you use formal language?
知道何时使用正式语言主要取决于语境 。让我问你一个问题:你什么时候应该使用正式语言?
Maybe you said things like: in job interviews, in business meetings or negotiations, when talking to older people, when writing business emails, and so on.


推荐阅读